Here are some of our frequently asked questions and answers. If we haven’t covered something here, feel free to contact us.
Q: How long are lessons?
Typically, we start students with a 30 minute lesson each week depending on their level. We also offer 45 and 60 minute lessons as well for those that wish to have more time, are at a more advanced level, or who wish to study more than one topic.
Q: What is your rate for lessons?
Effective September 1, 2018:
- $22 for a 30 minute individual lesson
- $33 for a 45 minute individual lesson
- $44 for a 60 minute individual lesson
- Theory and choir classes vary by class
Annual studio registration fee of $25.00 for individual lessons per student. Group classes include a registration fee in the class price.
Books and instruments are not included in lesson fees.
Note: Music lessons are tax exempt.
Q: How do I pay for my lessons?
Payment for lessons is due at the first lesson of each month (for the whole month’s lessons) when paying monthly, or due September 4, December 1, and March 1 for lump sum methods.
Payment is accepted in the following ways:
- **Preferred** 10 Monthly post-dated cheques prepared for the whole studio year (September – June) , or 3 lump sums payable by September 4, November 25, and February 25
- 10 Automatic monthly credit card payments (Note: A 2.5% convenience fee is added to credit card payments).
- 3 Interac e-transfers in lump sums payable by September 4, November 25, and February 25. Email to email@example.com
- 3 Cash payments in lump sums payable by September 4, November 25, and February 25.
Q: My child has never taken any music lessons previously. How will we know which books to bring?
Every student is different, which is why we find it works best to do an assessment of book level at the first lesson. This way we have the opportunity to try out a few books to see which level and learning style will work best for the student prior to purchasing a book.
Q: What is the youngest a child can start taking lessons?
For piano lessons we are able to start as young as 3 years old. For singing lessons we recommend 4 years old to begin.
Q: My child is interested in taking Royal Conservatory exams in singing or piano. Do you offer this as an option?
All of the teachers at Forte are equipped and qualified to have their students complete RCM examinations, whether they are taking piano or singing lessons. We also offer theory classes for those wishing to complete their RCM theory examinations.
Q: Is there a registration fee?
There is an annual $25 registration fee per child for individual lessons. This fee covers supplies, print materials, recitals, etc. Group classes have a registration fee included in the class fee.
Q: Do we need a piano/keyboard/guitar at home?
For students taking piano or guitar lessons you must have regular access to a piano or keyboard or guitar to do your practicing. There are many options to finding an inexpensive or used piano/keyboard – ask your teacher for more information about this. For guitar, many music stores offer guitar rentals starting at just $8/month.
Q: What are your hours?
Our teaching hours are typically Monday-Friday between 2-8pm (varies by day). If we aren’t in, or are teaching a lesson, please feel free to contact us by:
- Phone: 250.715.8200
- Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Website: use our contact form or signup form